Browse By

Parish Council Minutes 14th September 2021

PLYMTREE PARISH COUNCIL MEETING

Draft Minutes of a meeting held on 14th September 2021 at 7.30 pm at Plymtree Village Hall.

Present: Cllrs I Robinson (IR), A Cook (AC) (until item 55/21), JI Penman (JP), S Stephens (SS), S Martin (SM), T Jedynak (TJ), P Skinner (PS), Franklyn (JF, Clerk)

49a/21 Apologies: R Tift (RT) (annual leave),

49b/21   Declarations of Interest & Prejudice: None declared.

Meeting suspended to allow public questions and receipt of reports.

49c/21   Participation of members of the public and reports from representatives of Police, EDDC, DCC:  Cllr Skinner of EDDC attended. He reported new ways of working of the District Council, including continuation of Zoom activities. He alsodescribed ways in which the DC was supporting those in difficulty, including as a result of the pandemic. A discussion ensued about the ongoing proposals to create two large solar farms in the vicinity of the village; Cllr Skinner reiterated that he is keen to receive specific queries and views from parishioners by email in order that these can be addressed. He was asked to report back to the PC re the wider regional/national strategy for planning decisions re solar farms. 

49d/21 Approval of minutes of meeting of 6th July 2021: The minutes were read, approved and signed as a true and accurate record as proposed by AC, seconded by SS and agreed by all.

50/21 Actions from last meeting not otherwise on the agenda:

Actions from last meeting: IR to inform Ms Jedynak of her successful nomination. Clerk to provide declaration of interest forms to her and return forms to EDDC in due course (Done). 

Trudie Jedynak was welcomed as a new Parish Councillor.  

51/21    Finance:

Balance of current accounts: Recent spends (since the last meeting as noted in the agenda) were noted and further approved. It was noted in addition that the second Precept payment of £2250 had been received on 25th Aug.

Current balances (from 1st April 2021) were checked and agreed as proposed/signed by IR and RT (in due course), RT having pre-circulated the accounts.

52/21    Section 106 monies:

Actions from last meeting: SS to collate all of the parishioner responses and forward to the PC and to EDDC. IR to determine the requirement for a zoom meeting to discuss the outcome (provisionally set for 13th July at 7.30) ahead of proceeding with specific project(s). (Done).

It was noted that a meeting of the PC was held remotely on July 13th to discuss the outcome of scores for proposed projects and next steps considered. SS reported subsequent discussion with Jamie Buckley of EDDC and conveyed the decision that funding should be directed strictly according to the voting process completed by parishioners. The three projects which had attracted most votes were discussed; it is hoped that funds will be sufficient to progress at least two of these.

New actions: SS to obtain formal costings for relevant projects. SM (as PC Village hall Committee rep) to discuss potential projects with interested parties including the Village Hall committee (re use of land), Cricket Club/Recreation Club officers and Recreation Field landowner (to ascertain length of lease). SS to communicate outcomes to the PC ahead of further information being provided to parishioners via the parish Magazine etc.

53/21     P3 activity and monies: It was noted that a parishioner (Paul Muxworthy) had attended a “strimmer” course run by DCC in August; his expenses had been reimbursed. TJ agreed to take over responsibility for this area of activity (from former Cllr Stride).

New action: Clerk to hand over P3 paperwork to TJ and to facilitate TJ liaison/hand over with former Cllr Stride.

54/21     Highways and Infrastructure and Road Warden update (report submitted before the meeting by RT):

Actions from last meeting: RT to order new materials for pothole filling (Done). RT to obtain three tenders for the painting of phone box and bus shelters. (Done).

Highways. It was noted thatPhil Morgan of DCC has been replaced recently by Daniel Wood as Neighbourhood Highways Officer for Plymtree and surrounding parishes.  Mr Morgan is remaining with DCC and will be supporting Mr Wood regarding ongoing works. Mr Morgan had been thanked for all the help he has given Plymtree during his tenure.

Roadwarden Activities.

It was noted that a start has been made on filling the many potholes in the Parish.  Eleven of the worst have been filled, five between Pencepool Orchard and Chapel Cross Roads, five between Hayne Cross Roads and Clyst William and one between Chapel Cross and Hayne Cross. Strimming has been carried out on two occasions opposite to the Church and at the junction of Greenend Lane. Weed management and general maintenance activities have taken place on the footpath beneath the Church, the nearby  junction of Greenend Lane and around the War Memorial mosaic area.   

Signing and Guarding for Road Warden Activities.

All current qualifications for those serving as Road Wardens in Plymtree expire on 30th Sept (apart from SS).  DCC require parishes to source training courses; a provider has been found near Tiverton.  This is a one day course, run regularly; the cost is £250 per delegate which DCC will fund up to a max of three.  AC had identified one new volunteer to attend this course and proposed to request two further parishioners to attend in addition.

Infrastructure

Bus Shelter painting etc.

Four tenders had been invited and two received to paint the telephone box, two bus shelters, the wooden bench in the bus shelter and the railings below the Church.

The lowest tender received was £970; this was approved by e mail circulation to the PC with five in favour, one against and one abstention.  The successful tenderer has been notified in writing and requested to liaise with AC. Paint purchase is underway. SM requested further information re those asked to tender; IR will discuss with RT on his return.

Notice Board in Telephone Box

It has been noted previously that the notice board in the telephone box should be replaced. Other boards in the village are made from rubber flooring sheets. RT had reported that a company in Bampton provides this type of material; RT proposes a visit to source suitable material with a view to mounting this on the existing plywood backing.

55/21 Creation of village interpretation board:

It was noted that there had been no recent activity; RT will progress as soon as feasible, perhaps alongside TJ. Further discussion was deferred to the next meeting.  

56/21 Road safety outside the primary school:

Action from last meetings: SM to contact Phil Morgan of DCC Highways Dept in the first instance to discuss potential changes to road marking and other safety measures outside the village school.

SM reported that he was liaising with the Executive Head of the School Federation in order to prompt action re road markings.

57/21 Planning applications:

It was noted that Mid Devon DC had met on July 14th to determine the outcome of the Langford solar farm planning application; the planning committee was minded to refuse the application. A further meeting (in part remote) has been scheduled for 22nd September to present reports on adverse impact on the landscape, impact on the grade two listed Langford Court and additional loss of agricultural land.

It was noted that an open meeting is to be held by Lightrock power re the proposed solar farm at Peradon Farm on September 23rd from 4-7 pm at Clyst Hydon Village Hall.

The recent correspondence to EDDC from Cllr Cook on behalf of PC re a potential planning breach close to Clyst William Cross (new gateway, hard standing, shipping container/caravan  placement etc) was again noted. The matter had been reported to the EDDC enforcement officer who was investigating. AC and IR will report back when further information becomes available.

21/1920/TRE Greenend House Felling of 2 diseased ash trees and stem of sycamore.  To note neutral response submitted.

58/21 Correspondence: 

P Gimber re dead elm tree opposite school. It was noted that the matter had been brought to the attention of HighLine (because of potential damage to BT/Southern Power overhead wires). SM reported that he had contacted DCC Highways but had not received a response. As yet there is no agreement re responsibility for felling of the tree; SM will discuss with the school, especially given the proximity to the school and potential risk. The PC was minded to intervene if no other action is forthcoming.

P Gimber re Queen’s platinum jubilee tree planting. Discussion was deferred until the next meerting.

Parishioner notification to IR re door to door salesmen. IR had communicated parishioner concerns and sought advice from the PCSO. No response had been received.

Matters of urgency – items not on the agenda to be discussed at the Chairman’s discretion NB no voting permitted, discussion only.

SM reported news obtained in his liaison role with the Office of the Police and Crime Commissioner. He agreed to convey relevant information to parishioners via the Parish Magazine.

New action: SM to write an article for the Parish Magazine re relevant news from the Office of the Police and Crime Commissioner.

Date of meetings for 2021: Tuesday2nd November all at 7.30pm. Note changed venue to Village Hall.  Close of meeting at 9.45 pm.